Dr Robert A. Moreau B.A., Ph.D.
Robert A. Moreau was born in Massachusetts. He obtained his BA at Boston University and his Ph.D. at the University of South Carolina (Ph.D.), where he was mentored by Dr. Anthony Huang. After a two year postdoc with Dr. Paul Stumpf at UC Davis, he joined the staff at the Eastern Regional Research Center (USDA, ARS) in Wyndmoor, PA, USA where he has been a happy lipid researcher for the last 28 years. Bob's research interests have focused on method development for lipid analysis and their use to solve problems in agriculture and food science, including functional lipids such as phytosterols, tocotrienols, and carotenoids.
Federal Laboratory Consortium Technology Transfer Award (group award). Awarded in San Antonio, TX, in May 1998.
Archer Daniels Midland Award for best paper in Engineering/Technology (group award), for a paper “Composition and Economic Comparison of Germ Fractions from Modified Corn Processing Technologies,” that appeared in the Journal of the American Oil Chemists’ Society (J. Am. Oil Chem. Soc.) Volume 82 (2005). Awarded by the American Oil Chemists’ Society, Protein and Coproducts Division. May 2006.
American Oil Chemists’ Society Herbert Dutton Award for “significant contributions in analytical chemistry applied to fats, oils and their products". Awarded in Quebec City, Canada, May 2006.
American Oil Chemists’ Society. Elected to be an AOCS Fellow, May 2009.
Moreau, R.A., and Kamal-Eldin, A. (Editors) Gourmet and Health-Promoting Specialty Oils, AOCS Press, Urbana, 595 pp, (2009).
Selected Publications and Patents
- Moreau, R.A., Asmann, P.T. and Norman, H.A. Analysis of major classes of plant lipids by high-performance liquid chromatography with flame ionization detection. Phytochemistry, 29, 2461-2466 (1990).
- Berry, A.M., Harriott, O.T., Moreau, R.A., Osman, S.F., Benson, D.R. and Jones, A.D. Hopanoid lipids compose the Frankia vesicle envelope, presumptive barrier of oxygen to nitrogenase. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA, 90, 6091-6094 (1993).
- Moreau, R.A., Powell, M.J., Osman, S.F., Whitaker, B.D., Fett, W.F., Roth, L. and O'Brien, D.J. Analysis of intact hopanoids and other lipids from the bacterium Zymomonas mobilis by high-performance liquid chromatography. Anal. Biochem., 224, 293-301 (1995).
- Moreau, R.A., Powell, M.J. and Hicks, K.B. Extraction and quantitative analysis of oil from commercial corn fiber. J. Agric. Food Chem., 44, 2149-2154 (1996).
- Moreau, R.A., Agnew, J., Powell, M.J. and Hicks, K.B. Modulation of lipoxygenase activity by bacterial hopanoids. J. Natural Products, 60, 397-398 (1997).
- Moreau, R.A., Young, D.H, Danis, P.O, Powell, M.J., Quinn, C.J., Beshah, K., Slawecki, R.A. and Dilliplane, R.L. Identification of ceramide-phosphorylethanolamine in oomycete plant pathogens: Pythium ultimum, Phytophthora infestans, and Phytophthora capsici. Lipids, 33, 307-317 (1998).
- Moreau, R.A., Hicks, K.B., Nicolosi, R.J. and Norton, R.A. Corn fiber oil - its preparation, composition, and use. U.S. Patent # 5,843,499. 1998.
- McGovern, P.E., Glusker, D.L., Beck, C.W., Butrym, E.D., Moreau, R.A., Nunez, A. and Simpson, E. The King Midas funerary banquet. Nature, 402, 863-864 (1999).
- Moreau, R.A., Young, D.H. and Ross, R. Sphingolipids and a process thereto. U.S. patent 5,958,426. 1999.
- Moreau, R.A., Nuñez, A., and Singh, V. Diferuloylputrescine and p-coumaroyl feruloylputrescine, abundant polyamine conjugates in lipid extracts of maize kernels. Lipids, 36, 839-844 (2001).
- Moreau, R.A., and Hicks, K.B. Bacteriohopanetetrol and related compounds useful for modulation of lipoxygenase activity and anti-inflammatory applications. US patent # 6,177,415. 2001.
- Moreau, R.A., Whitaker, B.D. and Hicks, K.B. Phytosterols, phytostanols, and their conjugates in foods: structural diversity, quantitative analysis, and health-promoting uses. Prog. Lipid Res., 41, 457-500 (2002).
- Moreau, R.A. Corn oil, in Gunstone, F.D. (Ed), Vegetable Oils in Food Technology, Sheffield Academic Press, Sheffield, UK, pp 278-296 (2002). (Book Chapter).
- Moreau, R.A. Phytosterols in functional foods, P. Dutta (ed.), in “Phytosterols as Functional Food Components and Nutraceuticals” Marcel Dekker, New York, pp 317-345 (2003).
- Moreau, R.A. and Nunez, A. Modern mass spectrometry – Four types of user-friendly instruments and their applications for lipid chemistry and biochemistry, INFORM, 14, 536-538 (2003).
- McGovern, P.E., Zhang, J., Tang, J., Zhang, Z., Hall, G.R., Moreau, R.A., Nunez, A., Butrym, E.D., Richards, M.P., Wang, C-S., Cheng, G., Zhao, Z. and Wang, C. Fermented beverages of pre- and proto-historic China, Proc. Nat. Acad. Sci. USA, 101, 17593-17598 (2004).
- Moreau, R.A. and Hicks, K.B. The composition of corn oil obtained by the alcohol extraction of ground corn, JAOCS, 82, 809-815 (2005).
- Moreau, R.A. Phytosterols and Phytosterol Esters, C. Akoh and O-M. Lai (eds.), in “Healthful Lipids”, AOCS Press, Champaign, pp. 335-360 (2005).
- Moreau, R.A. The Evaporative Light-Scattering Detector as a Tool for the Analysis of Lipids by HPLC, J-T. Lin & T.A. McKeon (eds), in “HPLC of Acyl Lipids,” H.N.B. Publishing, New York, pp. 93-116 (2005).
- Moreau, R.A. Corn Oil, F. Shahidi (ed), in “Bailey’s Industrial Oil & Fat Products, Sixth Edition, Volume 2, Edible Oil & Fat Products: Edible Oils,” Wiley-Interscience, Hoboken, pp. 149-172 (2005).
- Moreau, R.A. The quantitative analysis of lipids via HPLC with a charged aerosol detector, Lipids, 41, 727-734 (2006).
- Moreau, R.A. An overview of modern mass spectrometry methods in the toolbox of lipid chemists and biochemists, in “New Techniques and Applications in Lipid Analysis and Lipidomics” ed by M. Mossoba, J. Kramer, T. Brenna, and R. McDonald, AOCS Press, Champaign, 448 pp. (2006).
- Singh, V. and Moreau, R.A. Methods of preparing corn fiber oil and of recovering corn aleurone cells from corn fiber, US patent 7,115, 295, 2006.
- Moreau, R.A., Flores, R. and Hicks, K.B. The composition of functional lipids in hulled and hulless barley, in fractions obtained by scarifiction, and in barley oil, Cereal Chem., 84, 1-5 (2007).
- Moreau, R.A., Johnson, D.B. and Hicks, K.B. A comparison of the levels of lutein and zeaxanthin in corn germ oil, corn fiber oil, and corn kernel oil, J. Am. Oil Chem. Soc., 84, 1039-1044 (2007).
- Moreau, R.A., Wayns, K.E., Flores, R.A. and Hicks, K.B. Tocopherols and tocotrienols in barley oil prepared from germ and other fractions from scarification and sieving of hulless barley, Cereal Chem., 84, 587-592 (2007).
- Moreau, R.A., Johnston, D., Dickey, L.C., Parris, N., and Hicks, K.B. Aqueous enzymatic oil extraction: A “Green” bioprocess to obtain oil from corn germ and other oil-rich plant materials, in “The industrial Application of Enzymes on Carbohydrate based materials", ed by G. Eggleston and J.R. Vercellotti, ACS Symposium Series 972, ACS Press, Washington, DC, pp. 101-121 (2007).
- Moreau, R.A., Scott, K.A. and Haas, M.J. The identification and quantification of steryl glucosides in precipitates from commercial biodiesel, J. Am. Oil Chem. Soc., 85, 761-770 (2008).
- Moreau, R.A., Doehlert, D.C., Welti, R., Issac, G., Roth, M., Tamura, P. and Nunez, A. The identification of mono-, di-, tri-, and tetragalacosyldiacylglycerols and their natural estolides in oat kernels, Lipids, 43, 533-548 (2008).
- Moreau, R.A., Lampi, A-M. and Hicks, K.B. Fatty Acid, Phytosterol, and Polyamine Conjugate Profiles of Edible Oils Extracted from Corn Germ, Corn Fiber, and Corn Kernels, J. Am. Oil Chem. Soc., 86, 1209-1214 (2009).
- Moreau, R.A. Barley Oil, in “Gourmet and Health-Promoting Specialty Oils,” ed by R.A. Moreau and A. Kamal-Eldin, AOCS Press, Urbana, pp 455-478 (2009).
- Moreau, R.A., Singh, V., Powell, M.J. and Hicks, K.B. Corn Kernel Oil and Corn Fiber oil, in “Gourmet and Health-Promoting Specialty Oils,” ed by R.A. Moreau and A. Kamal-Eldin, AOCS Press, Urbana, pp. 409-432 (2009).