Prof. Paresh C. Dutta M.Sc., Ph.D.
Prof. Dutta received M. Sc. in Biochemistry, 1975 from Dacca University, Bangladesh; PhD in food chemistry/biochemistry, 1991 from the the Swedish University of Agricultural Sciences (SLU), Uppsala, Sweden. He received associate professorship 1997 in Food Chemistry at Department of Food Science, SLU, Uppsala, Sweden. Currently he is professor and Head of the Division of Food Chemistry at the Department of Food Science, SLU, Uppsala, Sweden (http://www.lmv.slu.se).
Prof. Dutta has been working for quite some time in the area of sterol (cholesterol and phytosterols) oxidation, analysis and occurrence. Some of the publications from the group lead by Prof. Dutta on phytosterol oxidation products (POPs) have created attention of scientists in this neglected but important area. Prof. Dutta has been developing methods to analyse mixed sterol oxidation products (SOPs), that means cholesterol oxidation products (COPs) and POPs in food lipids. A method describing application of a highly efficient GC capillary column which could separate a large number of SOPs, has been published in a book chapter by Prof. Dutta. This publication contains a large number of full-scan mass spectra of various POPs, which are very useful for identification of these compounds in foods and other biological samples. Lately, Prof. Dutta's group has been working on the side-chain oxidation products of phytosterols, and a validated method for the analysis of POP by GC and GC-MS by combination of different polarity columns was developed. Part of Prof. Dutta's recent research is on lipid and phytosterol oxidation in different frying oils and fried products and to minimise the generation of these contaminants with antioxidants.
- Dutta, P.C. and Appelqvist, L-Å.. Studies on phytosterol oxides. I: Effect of storage on the content in potato chips prepared in different vegetable oils.J. Am. Oil Chem. Soc., 74, 647-657 (1997).
- Dutta, P.C. Studies on phytosterol oxides. II: Content in some vegetable oils and in French fries prepared in these oils. J. Am. Oil Chem. Soc., 74, 659-666 (1997).
- Nilzén, V., Babol, J., Dutta, P.C., Lundeheim, N., Enfält, A-C. and Lundström, K. Free range rearing of pigs with access to pasture grazing - Effect on fatty acid composition and lipid oxidation products. Meat Sci., 58, 267-275 (2001).
- Normén, L., Bryngelsson, S., Johnsson, M., Evheden, P., Ellegard, L., Brants, H., Andersson, H. and Dutta, P.C. The phytosterol content of some cereal foods commonly consumed in Sweden and in the Netherlands. J Food Comp Anal., 15, 693-704 (2002).
- Verleyen T, Dutta, P.C, Verhe, R, Dewettinck, K, Huyghebaert, A. and de Greyt, W. Cholesterol oxidation in tallow during processing. Food Chem., 83, 185-188 (2003).
- Johnsson L. and Dutta, P.C. Characterization of side-chain oxidation products of sitosterol and campesterol by chromatographic and spectroscopic methods. J. Am. Oil Chem. Soc., 80, 767-776 (2003).
- Johnsson L., Andersson, R.E. and Dutta, P.C.Side-chain autoxidation of stigmasterol and analysis of a mixture of phytosterol oxidation products by chromatographic and spectroscopic methods. J. Am. Oil Chem. Soc., 80, 777-783 (2003).
- Arnqvist, L., Dutta, P.C., Jonsson, L. and Sitbon, F. Reduction of cholesterol and glycoalkaloid levels in transgenic potato plants by overexpression of a type1 sterol methyltransferase cDNA. Plant Physiol., 131, 1792-1799 (2003).
- Rudzinska, M., Korczak, J., Gramza, A., Dutta, P.C. and Wasowicz, E. Inhibition of stigmasterol oxidation by antioxidants in purified sunflower oil. Special edition on "Analytical Methods for Sterol Oxides" JAOAC Intl., 87, 499-504 (2004).
- Ubhayasekera, S.J.K.A., Verleyen, T. and Dutta, P.C. Evaluation of GC and GC-MS methods for the analysis of cholesterol oxidation products. Food Chem., 84, 149-157(2004).
- Johnsson, L. and Dutta, P.C. Separation of phytosterol oxidation products by combination of different polarity gas chromatography capillary columns. J. Chromatogr. A., 1064, 213-217 (2005).
- Johnsson, L. and Dutta, P.C. Determination of phytosterol oxides in some food products by using an optimized transesterification. Food Chem., 97, 606-613 (2006).
- Azadmard-Damirchi, S. and Dutta, P.C. Novel solid-phase extraction method to separate 4-desmethyl-, 4-monomethyl-, and 4,4´-dimethylsterols in vegetable oils. J. Chromatogr. A., 1108, 183-187 (2006).
- Ubhayasekera, S.J.K.A., Kochhar, P.A. and Dutta, P.C. Int. J. Food. Sci. Nutr., 57, 451-458 (2006).
- Azadmard-Damirchi, S. and Dutta, P.C. Free and esterified 4,4-dimethylsterols in hazelnut oil and their retention during refining processes. J. Am. Oil Chem. Soc., 84, 297-304 (2007).
- Normén, L., Ellegård, L., Brants, H., Dutta, P.C. and Andersson, H. A phytosterol database: Fatty foods consumed in Sweden and the Netherlands. J. Food Comp. Anal., 20, 193-201 (2007).
- Azadmard-Damirchi, S. and Dutta, P.C. Stability of minor lipid components with emphasis on phytosterols during chemical interesterification of a blend of refined olive oil and palm stearin.J. Am. Oil Chem. Soc., 85, 13-31 (2008).
- Arnqvist, L., Persson, M., Jonsson, L., Dutta, P.C. and Sitbon, F. Overexpression of CYP710A1 and CYP710A4 in transgenic Arabidopsis plants increases the level of stigmasterol at the expense of sitosterol. Planta, 227, 309-317 (2008).
- Tabee, E., Azadmard-Damirchi, S., Jägerstad, M. and Dutta, P.C. Lipids and phytosterol oxidation in commercial French fries commonly consumed in Sweden. J. Food Comp. Anal., 21, 169-177 (2008).
- Tabee, E., Jägerstad, M. and Dutta, P.C.Lipids and phytosterol oxidation products in commercial potato crisps commonly consumed in Sweden. Eur. Food Res. Tech., 227, 745-755 (2008).
- Tabee, E., Azadmard-Damirchi,S., Jägerstad, M. and Dutta, P.C. Effects of α-tocopherol on oxidative stability and phytosterol oxidation during heating in some regular and high-oleic vegetable oils. J. Am. Oil Chem. Soc., 85, 857-867 (2008).
- Ferioli, F., Caboni, M.F. and Dutta, P.C. Evaluation of cholesterol and lipid oxidation in raw and cooked minced beef stored under oxygen-enriched atmosphere. Meat Sci., 80, 681-685 (2008).
- Azadmard-Damirchi, S. and Dutta, P.C. A single step solid-phase extraction method for complete separation of sterol oxidation products in food lipids. J. Chromatogr. A., 1216, 36-42 (2009).
- Tabee, E., Jägerstad, M. and Dutta, P.C. Frying quality characteristics of french fries prepared in refined olive oil and palm olein. J. Am. Oil Chem. Soc., 86, 885-893 (2009).
- Ubhayasekera, S.J.K.A. and Dutta, P.C. Sterols and oxidized sterols in feed ingredients obtained from chemical and physical refining processes of fats and oils. J. Am. Oil Chem. Soc., 86, 595-604 (2009).
- Ubhayasekera, S.J.K.A., Tres, A., Codony, R. and Dutta, P.C. Effect of feed fat by-products with trans fatty acids and heated oil on cholesterol and oxycholesterols in chicken. J. Am. Oil Chem. Soc., 87, 173-184 (2010).
- Dutta, P.C. and Savage, G.P. Harmonization of cholesterol oxidation product analysis. In: Cholesterol and Phytosterol Oxidation Products. pp. 114-123 (AOCS Press, IL) (2002).
- Dutta, P.C. and Savage, G.P. Formation and content of phytosterol oxidation products in foods. Ibid, pp.319-334 (2002).
- Dutta, P.C. Determination of phytosterol oxidation products in foods and biological samples. Ibid, pp. 335-374 (2002).
- Dutta, P.C. Chemistry, analysis and occurrence of phytosterol oxides in foods. In: Plant Sterols as Functional Food Components and Nutraceuticals. pp. 397-417 (Ed. P.C. Dutta, Marcel Dekker, NY) (2004).
- Dutta, P.C., Przybylski, R., Eskin, N.A. and Appelqvist, L.-Å. Formation and analysis and health effects of oxidized sterols in frying fats. In: Deep Frying: Practices, Chemistry and Nutrition. pp. 125-178 ( Ed. M.D Erickson, AOCS Press, IL) (2007).
Book and journal editing
- Guardiola, F., Dutta, P.C., Codony, R. and Savage, G.P. (Eds), Cholesterol and Phytosterol Oxidation Products: Analysis, Occurrence, and Biological Effects. (AOCS Press, Champaign, IL) pp. 1-394 (2002).
- Dutta, P.C. (Ed), Phytosterols as Functional Food Components and Nutraceuticals. (Marcel Dekker, Inc., NY.) pp. 1-450 (2004).
- Dutta, P.C. (2004) Special Guest Editor, Section “Analytical Methods for Sterol Oxides". Journal of AOAC International, USA. 87 (2).