M. Carmen Dobarganes M.S., Ph.D.
Carmen Dobarganes obtained M.S. and Ph.D. degrees in chemistry at the University of Sevilla, Spain. She has been affiliated with the Instituto de la Grasa of the Spanish Council for Scientific Research (CSIC) since 1980. Over the years, her research has focused on lipid changes during processing and storage with special attention to the chemistry and analysis of frying oils. She has been responsible of more than 50 international and national projects funded by public and private institutions and has more than 150 publications. She was Director of the Instituto de la Grasa (1989-1992) and member of the CSIC Commission for Research in Food Science and Technology (1996-2004). She received the Chevreul Medal (France, 1997).
- Velasco, J., Marmesat, S. and Dobarganes, M.C. Chemistry of Frying. In: “Deep Fat Frying of Foods” pp. 33-56 (Edited by S.Sahin and G. Sumnu, Taylor and Francis, USA) (2008).
- Sánchez-Muniz F.J., Bastida S., Márquez-Ruiz G. and Dobarganes M.C. Effect of heating and frying on oil and food fatty acids. In: “Fatty acids in Foods and their Health Implications” (3rd edition). pp. 511-542 (Edited by C.K. Chow. Taylor and Francis Group, USA) (2007).
- Márquez-Ruiz, G. and Dobarganes, M.C. Nutritional and physiological effects of used frying fats. In: "Deep Frying: Chemistry Nutrition and Practical Applications. 2nd edition." pp 87-110 (Edited by M.D. Erickson. AOCS Press, USA) (2006).
- Dobarganes, M.C. and Márquez Ruíz, G. Formation and analysis of oxidized monomeric, dimeric and higher oligomeric triglycerides. In: “Deep Frying: Chemistry Nutrition and Practical Applications”. 2nd edition. pp 87-110 (Edited by M.D. Erickson. AOCS Press, USA) (2006).
- Márquez-Ruiz, G. and Dobarganes, M.C. Analysis of non-volatile lipid oxidation compounds by high-performance size-exclusion chromatography. In: “Analysis of Lipid Oxidation”. pp. 40-69 (Edited by A. Kamal-Eldín and J.Pokorny, AOCS Press, USA) (2005).
- Marmesat, S., Velasco, J. and Dobarganes, M.C. Quantitative determination of epoxyacids, ketoacids and hydroxyacids formed in fats and oils at frying temperatures. J Chromatog. A, 1211, 129-134 (2008).
- Márquez-Ruiz, G., Martín-Polvillo, M., Velasco, J. and Dobarganes, M.C. Formation of oxidation compounds in olive and sunflower oils under oxidative stability index (OSI) conditions. Eur. J. Lipid Sci.Technol., 110, 465-471 (2008).
- Marmesat, S., Velasco, L., Ruiz-M?ndez, M.V., Fern?ndez-Mart?nez, J.M. and Dobarganes, M.C. Thermostability of genetically modified sunflower oils differing in fatty acid and tocopherol compositions. Eur. J. Lipid Sci. Technol., 110, 776-782 (2008).
- Márquez Ruiz, G., Holgado, F.,. Garc?a, M.C. and Dobarganes, M.C. A direct and fast method to monitor lipid oxidation progress in model fatty acid methyl esters by high-performance size-exclusion chromatography. J. Chromatog .A, 1165, 122-127 (2007).
- Steel, C.J., Dobarganes, M.C. and Barrera-Arellano, D.Formation of polymerization compounds during thermal oxidation of cottonseed oil, partially hydrogenated cottonseed oil and their blend. Grasas y Aceites, 57, 284-291 (2006).
- Marmesat, S., Mancha, M., Ruiz- Mández, M.V. and Dobarganes, M.C. Performance of sunflower oil with high levels of oleic and palmitic acids during industrial frying of almonds, peanuts and sunflower seeds. J. Am. Oil Chem. Soc., 82, 505-510 (2005).
- Velasco, J., Marmesat, S., Bordeaux, O., Márquez-Ruiz, G. and Dobarganes, M.C. Quantitation of short-chain glycerol-bound compounds in thermoxidiz. J. Agric. Food Chem., 53, 4006-4011.(2005).
- Márquez-Ruiz, G., Velasco, J. and Dobarganes, M.C. Effectiveness of dimethylpolysiloxane during deep frying. Eur. J. Lipid Sci. Technol., 106, 752-758 (2004).
- Velasco, J., Marmesat, S., Bordeaux, O. Márquez-Ruiz, G. and Dobarganes, M.C. Formation and evolution of monoepoxy fatty acids in thermoxidized olive and sunflower oils and quantitation in used frying oils from restaurants and fried food outlets. J. Agric. Food Chem., 52, 4438-4443 (2004).
- Martín Polvillo, M., Márquez-Ruiz, G. and Dobarganes, M.C. Effect of temperature and addition of α-tocopherol on the oxidation of trilinolein model systems. Lipids, 38, 233-240 (2003).