Gloria Márquez-Ruiz M.S., Ph.D.
Gloria Márquez-Ruiz received her M.S. (1985) and Ph.D. (1989) degrees in Pharmacy at the University of Sevilla, Spain; and carried out her Postdoctoral Project at the Department of Nutrition in the University of California, Davis (1989-1991). She developed her research activity at the “Instituto de la Grasa” of the Spanish Council for Scientific Research (CSIC) in Sevilla from 1986-89 and 1991-2003. From 2003 to date, she is Research Scientist at the “Instituto de Ciencia y Tecnología de Alimentos y Nutrición (ICTAN-CSIC)”, also belonging to the CSIC in Madrid. Her areas of research include analytical and nutritional studies on frying oils and fats, kinetics studies on lipid oxidation and evaluation of oxidation in functional ingredients and foods containing polyunsaturated fatty acids (ω-3 fatty acids, conjugated linoleic acid). She has published 115 scientific papers including 16 book chapters, and participated in 35 international and national projects funded by public and private institutions.
- Sánchez-Muniz F.J., Bastida S., Márquez-Ruiz G. and Dobarganes M.C. Effect of heating and frying on oil and food fatty acids. In: “Fatty acids in Foods and their Health Implications” (3rd edition). pp. 511-542 (Edited by C.K. Chow. Taylor and Francis Group, USA) (2007).
- Márquez-Ruiz, G. and Dobarganes, M.C. Nutritional and physiological effects of used frying fats. In: "Deep Frying: Chemistry Nutrition and Practical Applications”. 2nd edition. pp 87-110 (Edited by M.D. Erickson. AOCS Press, USA) (2006).
- Dobarganes, M.C. and Márquez-Ruiz, G. Formation and analysis of oxidized monomeric, dimeric and higher oligomeric triglycerides. In: “Deep Frying: Chemistry Nutrition and Practical Applications”. 2nd edition. pp 87-110 (Edited by M.D. Erickson. AOCS Press, USA) (2006).
- Dobarganes, M.C. and Márquez-Ruiz, G. HPSEC in lipid analysis. In “Lipid Analysis and Lipidomics: New Techniques and Applications”. pp 205-238 (Edited by M.M. Mossoba, J.K.G. Kramer, J.T. Brenna and R.E. McDonald, AOCS Press, USA) (2006).
- Márquez-Ruiz, G. and Dobarganes, M.C. Analysis of non-volatile lipid oxidation compounds by high-performance size-exclusion chromatography. In: “Analysis of Lipid Oxidation”. pp. 40-69 (Edited by A. Kamal-Eldín and J.Pokorny, AOCS Press, USA) (2005).
- Márquez-Ruiz, G., Velasco, J. and Dobarganes, M.C.Oxidation in dried microencapsulated oilsLipid Oxidation Pathways”. pp. 245-264 (Edited by A. Kamal-Eldín, AOCS Press, USA) (2003).
- Velasco, J., Holgado, F., Dobarganes, M.C and Márquez-Ruiz, G. A follow-up oxidation study in dried microencapsulated oils under the accelerated conditions of the Rancimat test. Food Res. Int., 42, 56-62 (2009).
- Márquez-Ruiz, G., Martín-Polvillo, M., Velasco, J. and Dobarganes, M.C. Formation of oxidation compounds in olive and sunflower oils under oxidative stability index (OSI) conditions. Eur. J. Lipid Sci.Technol., 110, 465-471 (2008).
- Márquez Ruiz, G., Holgado, F.,. García, M.C. and Dobarganes, M.C. A direct and fast method to monitor lipid oxidation progress in model fatty acid methyl esters by high-performance size-exclusion chromatography. J. Chromatog. A, 1165, 122-127 (2007).
- Luna, P., de la Fuente, M.A., Salvador, D. and Márquez Ruiz, G. Differences in oxidation kinetics between conjugated and non-conjugated methyl linoleate. Lipids, 42, 1085-1092 (2007).
- Marmesat, S., Velasco, J., Márquez-Ruiz, G. and Dobarganes, M.C. A rapid method for determination of polar compounds in used frying fats and oils. Grasas y Aceites, 58, 179-184 (2007).
- Velasco, J., Marmesat, S., Dobarganes, M.C and Márquez-Ruiz, G. Heterogeneous aspects of lipid oxidation in dried microencapsulated oils. J. Agric. Food Chem., 54, 1722-1729 (2006).
- Velasco, J., Marmesat, S., Bordeaux, O., Márquez-Ruiz, G. and Dobarganes, M.C. Quantitation of short-chain glycerol-bound compounds in thermoxidized and used frying oils. A monitoring study during thermoxidation of olive and sunflower oils. J. Agric. Food Chem., 53, 4006-4011 (2005).
- Márquez-Ruiz, G., Velasco, J. and Dobarganes, M.C. Effectiveness of dimethylpolysiloxane during deep frying. Eur. J. Lipid Sci. Technol., 106, 752-758 (2004).
- Velasco, J., Dobarganes, M.C. and Márquez-Ruiz, G. Antioxidant activity of phenolic compounds in model oil-in-water emulsions containing sunflower oil, sodium caseinate and lactose. Eur. J. Lipid Sci. Technol., 106, 325-333 (2004).
- Velasco, J., Marmesat, S., Bordeaux, O. Márquez-Ruiz, G. and Dobarganes, M.C. Formation and evolution of monoepoxy fatty acids in thermoxidized olive and sunflower oils and quantitation in used frying oils from restaurants and fried food outlets. J. Agric. Food Chem., 52, 4438-4443 (2004).
- Martín Polvillo, M., Márquez-Ruiz, G. and Dobarganes, M.C. Effect of temperature and addition of α-tocopherol on the oxidation of trilinolein model systems. Lipids, 38, 233-240 (2003).