M. Fernanda Peyronel
Fernanda Peyronel is a Research Associate at the University of Guelph in the Department of Food Science. She holds a Ph.D in Food and Soft Materials as well as a MSc. in Atomic and Molecular Physics, both from the University of Guelph, Canada.
She works as a Research Associate/Lab Manager in the Food, Health and Aging group at the University of Guelph, Canada. She is the lead investigator in the ultra small angle X-ray scattering, USAXS technique. USAXS, has helped characterize in situ the supramolecular solid fat structures in mixtures of liquid and solids edible fats. This has open a door to the understanding of the structures formed in the length scale from ~200 nm to ~ 6 µm. .
Dr. Peyronel is also interests in the quantification of London–van der Waals interactions between fat crystals using Lifshitz theory, for which she has designed and built a dielectric measurement device (OSCAR) for the determination of the static dielectric constant of fats and oils.
In her capacity as Lab Manager, Dr. Peyronel deals with Industrial projects, graduate students and equipment with the focus in the physical characterization of fats and oils.
- Peyronel, F. and Marangoni, A.G. In search of confectionary fat blends stable to heat: Hydrogenated palm kernel oil stearin with sorbitan monostearate. Food Res. Int., 55, 93–102 (2014).
- Peyronel, F., Ilavsky, J., Mazzanti, G., Marangoni, A.G. and Pink, D.A. Edible Oil Structures at Low and Intermediate Concentrations: II. Ultra-Small Angle X- Ray Scattering of in situ Tristearin Solids in Triolein. J. Appl. Phys., 114, 234902 (2013).
- Pink, D.A., Quinn, B., Peyronel, F. and Marangoni, A.G. Edible Oil Structures at Low and intermediate Concentrations: I. Modelling, Computer Simulation and Predictions for X-ray Scattering. J. Appl. Phys., 114, 234901 (2013).
- MacDougall, C.J.,Razul, M.S., Papp-Szabo, E., Peyronel, F., Hanna, C.B., Marangoni, A.G. and Pink, D.A. Nanoscale characteristics of triacylglycerol oils: phase separation and binding energies of two-component oils to crystalline nanoplatelets. Faraday Disc., 158, 425 (2012).
- Marangoni, A.G., Acevedo, N., Co, E., Peyronel, F., Quinn, B., Maleky, F., Mazzanti, G. and Pink, D. Structure and functionality of edible fats. Soft Matter, 8, 1275-1300 (2012).
- Acevedo, N., Peyronel, F. and Marangoni, A.G. Characterization and engineering of the nanoscale in triglyceride crystal networks. Current Opinion in Colloid and Interface Science, 16, 374-383 (2011).
Department of Food Science. University of Guelph, Guelph, Ontario, Canada