Scot J. Stone, B.Sc., Ph.D.
Scot Stone obtained a B.Sc. in Physiology at the University of Saskatchewan in 1993 and Ph.D in Medical Sciences at the University of Alberta in 1999. He received postdoctoral training at the J. David Gladstone Institutes in San Francisco, CA from 2000-2007. In 2007, he joined the Department of Biochemistry at the University of Saskatchewan as an assistant professor. His research focuses on understanding the basic mechanisms of neutral lipid synthesis and storage. Of particular interest is the class of neutral lipids known as triacylglycerols (triglycerides), which are the major storage form of energy in eukaryotic organisms.
- 2011 Harris, C.A., Haas, J.T., Streeper, R.S., Stone, S.J., Kumari, M., Yang, K. , Han, X., Brownell, N., Gross, R.W., Zechner, R.., Farese, R.V. Jr. DGAT enzymes are required for triacylglycerol synthesis and lipid droplets in adipocytes. Journal of Lipid Research. 52:657-667.
- 2010 McFie P.J., Stone S.L., Banman S.L., Stone S.J. Topological orientation of acyl-CoA:diacylglycerol acyltransferase-1 (DGAT1) and identification of a putative active site histidine and the role of the N-terminus in dimer/tetramer formation. Journal of Biological Chemistry. 285:37377-37387.
- 2009 Stone S.J., Levin M., Zhou P., Han J., Walther, T. and Farese R.V. Jr. The endoplasmic reticulum enzyme DGAT2 Is found in mitochondria-associated membranes and has a mitochondrial targeting signal that promotes its association with mitochondria. Journal of Biological Chemistry. 284:5352-5361.
- 2008 Yen, C.L., Stone, S.J., Koliwad, S., Harris, C., Farese, R.V. Jr. Thematic Review Series: Glycerolipids. DGAT enzymes and triacylglycerol biosynthesis. Journal of Lipid Research. 49:2283-2301.
- 2006 Stone S.J., Levin M. and Farese R.V. Jr. Murine DGAT2: Membrane topology and Identification of key functional amino acid residues. Journal of Biological Chemistry. 281:40273-40282.
- 2006 Millar J.S., Stone S.J., Tietge U.J., Tow B, Billheimer J.T., Wong J.S., Hamilton R.L., Farese R.V. Jr, Rader D.J. Short-term hepatic overexpression of DGAT1 or DGAT2 in female mice increases hepatic triglyceride synthesis without changing VLDL triglyceride or ApoB production. Journal of Lipid Research. 47:2297-2305
- 2003 Stone S.J., Myers H., Watkins S.M., Brown B.E., Feingold, K.R. Elias, P.M. and Farese R.V. Jr. Lipopenia and Skin Barrier Abnormalities in DGAT2-deficient Mice. Journal of Biological Chemistry. 279:11767-11776.
- 2002 Chen H.C., Stone S.J., Zhou P., Buhman K.K., Farese R.V. Jr. Dissociation of obesity and impaired glucose disposal in mice overexpressing acyl Coenzyme A:diacylglycerol acyltransferase 1 in white adipose tissue. Diabetes. 51:3189-3195.
- 2002 Yen C.L., Stone S.J., Cases S., Zhou P., Farese R.V. Jr. Identification of a gene encoding MGAT1, a monoacylglycerol acyltransferase. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 99:8512-8517
- 2002 Buhman K.K., Smith S.J., Stone S.J., Repa J.J., Wong J.S., Knapp F.F. Jr, Burri B.J., Hamilton R.L., Abumrad N.A., Farese R.V. Jr. DGAT1 is not essential for intestinal triacylglycerol absorption or chylomicron synthesis. Journal of Biological Chemistry. 277:25474-25479.
- 2001 Cases S., Stone S.J., Zhou P., Yen E., Tow B., Lardizabal K.D., Voelker T., Farese R.V. Jr. Cloning of DGAT2, a second mammalian diacylglycerol acyltransferase, and related family members. Journal of Biological Chemistry. 276:38870-38876.
- 2001 Sturbois-Balcerzak, B., Stone S.J., Sreenivas, A. and Vance, J.E. Structure and expression of the murine phosphatidylserine synthase-1 gene. Journal of Biological Chemistry. 276:8205-8212.
- 2000 Stone, S.J. and Vance, J.E. Phosphatidylserine Synthase-1 and -2 are Localized to Mitochondria-associated Membranes. Journal of Biological Chemistry. 275:34534-34540.
- 1999 Stone, S.J. and Vance, J.E. Cloning and expression of murine liver phosphatidylserine synthase (PSS)-2: differential regulation of phospholipid metabolism by PSS1 and PSS2. Biochemical Journal. 342:57-64.
- 1998 Stone, S.J., Cui, Z. and Vance, J.E. Cloning and Expression of Mouse Liver Phosphatidylserine Synthase-1 cDNA: overexpression in rat hepatoma cells inhibits the CDP-ethanolamine pathway for phosphatidylethanolamine biosynthesis. Journal of Biological Chemistry. 273:7293-7302.
- 1997 Vance, J.E., Stone, S.J. and Faust, J.R. Abnormalities in Mitochondria-associated Membranes and Phospholipid Biosynthetic Enzymes in the mnd/mnd Mouse Model of Neuronal Ceroid Lipofuscinosis. Biochimica et Biophysica Acta. 1344:286-299.
- 1994 Taylor, D.C., MacKenzie, S.L., McCurdy, A.R., McVetty, P.B.E, Giblin, E.M., Pass, E.W., Stone, S.J., Scarth, R., Rimmer, S.R. and Pickard, M.D. Stereospecific Analyses of Seed Triacylglycerols from High-Erucic Acid Brassicaceae: Detection of Erucic Acid at the sn-2 Position in Brassica oleracea L. Genotypes. Journal of the American Oil Chemists' Society. 71:163-167.
Department of Biochemistry, Room 14.1 Health Sciences Building, University of Saskatchewan, 107 Wiggins Road, Saskatoon, SK, Canada, S7N 5E5