Hei Sook Sul, Ph.D.
Hei Sook Sul received her Ph.D. from the University of Wisconsin-Madison and postdoctoral training at the University of California, Davis, and Albert Einstein College of Medicine. She joined the Harvard School of Public Health in 1985 as Assistant Professor and moved to University of California, Berkeley in 1994 and is now Professor and holds Doris Calloway Chair in Human Nutrition. In 2006, she received the Osborne and Mendel Award. Her research interests are in the area of regulation of adipose tissue development and fat metabolism.
- Jaworski, K., Ahmadian, M., Duncan, R., Sarkadi-Nagy E., Varady, K.A., Hellerstein, M.K., Lee, H.-Y., Samuel, V.T., Shulman, G.I., Kim, K.-H., de Val, S., Kang, C., Sul, H.S. AdPLA ablation increases lipolysis and prevents obesity induced by high-fat feeding or leptin deficiency. Nat. Med. 15, 159-168, 2009.
- Wong, R.H.F., Chang, I., Hudak, C.S.S., Hyun, S., Kwan, H.-Y., Sul, H.S. A role of DNA-PK for the metabolic gene regulation in response to insulin. Cell 136, 1056-1072, 2009.
- Ahmadian, M., Duncan, R.E., Varady, K.A., Frasson, D., Hellerstein, M.K., Birkenfeld, A.L., Samuel, V.T., Shulman, G.I., Wang, Y., Kang, C., Sul, H.S. Adipose overexpression of desnutrin promotes fatty acid use and attenuates diet-induced obesity. Diabetes 58, 855-866, 2009.
- Wang, Y., Sul, H.S. Pref-1 regulates mesenchymal cell commitment and differentiation through Sox9. Cell Metab. 9, 287-302, 2009.
- Sul, H.S. Pref-1: role in adipogenesis and mesenchymal cell fate. Mol. Endo. 23. 1717-1725, 2009.
- Wang, Y., Zhao, L., Smas, C.M., Sul, H.S. Pref-1 interacts with fibronectin to inhibit adipocyte differentiation. Mol. Cell. Biol. 30, 3480-3492, 2010.
- Ahmadian, M., Abbott, M.J., Tang, T., Hudak, C.S.S., Kim, Y., Bruss, M., Hellerstein,M.K., Lee, H.-Y., Samuel, V.T., Shulman, G.I., Wang, Y., Duncan, R.E., Kang, C., Sul, H.S. Adipose-specific ablation of desnutrin/ATGL promotes a brown-to-white adipose phenotype; Regulation by AMPK. Cell Met. 13, 739-748, 2011.
Doris H. Calloway Chair in Human Nutrition, Department of Nutritional Science and Toxicology, University of California, Berkeley, 94720, U.S.A.