Dr. William Walker Christie M.B.E., B.Sc., Ph.D., D.Sc., F.R.S.E.
Bill Christie is a graduate of the Chemistry Department of the University of St Andrews in Scotland, where he also obtained his Ph.D., under the supervision of the eminent lipid chemist Professor F.D. Gunstone. He is probably best known for his work on developing novel analytical methodology for lipids, and his books are the standard texts on the subject.
After many years in senior positions at the Hannah Research Institute in Ayr, Dr Christie was appointed Head of the Chemistry Department at The Scottish Crop Research Institute (now the James Hutton Institute) in Dundee, Scotland. On 'retirement', he became a consultant to Mylnefield Lipid Analysis (part of the commercial arm of the Institute), for which he was a co-founder.
He originated and maintained this website entirely as a spare time activity before gifting it to AOCS in 2009. With the transfer of ownership, he was first appointed Editor-in-Chief of the site, but in 2012 he relinquished this post while remaining active on the site.
He was awarded an MBE in the Queen's New Year's Honours list in 2000, and he has been elected a Fellow of the Royal Society of Edinburgh. In addition, Dr Christie has received awards for presentation of 'outstanding' papers at meetings of the American Oil Chemists' Society (AOCS), and in 1995 received the Herbert J. Dutton Award of the AOCS 'in recognition of his contribution to analytical methodology in relation to oils, fats and lipids'. He received the Alton E. Bailey Award of the AOCS in 2004 'for exceptional service in the field of lipids and associated products'. In 2010, he received the prestigious Supelco/Nicholas Pelick Research Award of the AOCS and in 2011 he was appointed an AOCS Fellow. In addition to his role with this web site, he is currently a member of the editorial advisory boards of several journals and was the founder of the Oily Press Ltd.
A full publication list contains details of approximately 360 items. The first major item is a book, "Lipid Analysis" (Pergamon Press), published first in 1973, before it was extensively rewritten and a second edition published in 1982, followed by a third in 2003 and a fourth written jointly with Xianlin Han in 2010. More than 7000 copies of the first three editions have been sold and it is the standard work in its field. A further book on "High-Performance Liquid Chromatography and Lipids" was published in 1987 and a companion volume on "Gas Chromatography and Lipids" appeared in 1989 (from The Oily Press) - now available online here.
- Christie, W.W. and Han, X. Lipid Analysis - Isolation, Separation, Identification and Lipidomic Analysis (4th edition), 446 pages (Oily Press, Bridgwater, U.K.) (2010)
- Sébédio, J.L. and Christie, W.W. (editors)Trans Fatty Acids in Human Nutrition. The Oily Press, Dundee, 320 pages (1998).
- Christie, W.W. (editor) Advances in Lipid Methodology - One to Four. The Oily Press, Ayr/Dundee. (1992 to 1997).
- Christie, W.W. Gas Chromatography and Lipids: a Practical Guide. The Oily Press, Ayr., 307 pages, 1014 references (1989).
- Christie, W.W. High-Performance Liquid Chromatography and Lipids: a Practical Guide. Pergamon Books, Oxford. 272 pages, 916 references (1987).