Selected Topics in the Analysis of Lipids
The articles in this section are designed to give an introduction to aspects of lipid analysis that are of special interest at this time. In addition, there are some more substantial reviews from the Advances in Lipid Methodology'series by Dr. William W. Christie. We are grateful to P.J. Barnes & Associates (The Oily Press) for permission to reproduce this material. Many more original documents will appear here as time permits with many different authors.
Review Articles from 'Advances in Lipid Methodology - One and Two'
(by William W. Christie)
- Solid-phase extraction columns in the analysis of lipids
- Preparation of ester derivatives of fatty acids for chromatographic analysis
- Preparation of lipid extracts from tissues
- The chromatographic resolution of chiral lipids
- Detectors for HPLC of lipids with special reference to evaporative light-scattering detection
- Why methods go wrong
- Laboratory accreditation
- Writing effective methods for AOCS submission (Mark Collison)
Fatty Acid Analysis
- GC columns for fatty acid analysis
- Fatty acid analysis by HPLC
- Alternatives to methyl esters for GC analysis
- CLA - A practical guide (from INFORM) (by William W. Christie, Pierre Juaneda and Jean Louis Sébédio).
- Infrared spectroscopy for rapid determination of total saturated, trans, monounsaturated, and polyunsaturated fatty acids
(by Magdi M. Mossoba, Hormoz Azizian, and John K.G. Kramer)
- Use of lithiated adducts for structural analysis of acylglycerols by ESI-MS (by Jiann-Tsyh (Ken) Lin)
- Identification of double bond location in fatty acid methyl esters by CA CI tandem MS (by J. Thomas Brenna and Cynthia Tyburczy)
Other Chromatographic Methods
- The use of countercurrent chromatography (CCC) in lipid analysis (by Walter Vetter)
- Gas chromatographic analysis of plant sterols (by Jill Winkler-Moser)
- Analysis of tocopherols and tocotrienols by HPLC (by Anna-Maija Lampi)
- Reversed-phase HPLC of triacylglycerols
- Thin-layer chromatography
- Structural analysis of triacylglycerols
- GC analysis of triacylglycerols - caution!
- Modifed AOCS method for oil content determination (by Keshun Liu)
- Lipidomics - a personal view (by W.W. Christie)