Gary Dobson B.Sc., Ph.D.
Gary Dobson obtained a B.Sc. in Microbiology (1980) and Ph.D. on “The Lipids of the Leprosy Bacillus and Related Mycobacteria” (1984) at The University of Newcastle, UK. He then took up a postdoctoral position in The Organic Geochemistry Unit at Bristol University (1984-1988) followed by a research position with Scottish & Newcastle Breweries in Edinburgh (1988-1993). Since 1993 he has been a research scientist at the Scottish Crop Research Institute in Dundee, Scotland. His research interests in lipid chemistry have included cyclic fatty acids formed in frying oils, analytical methodology for determining the composition of complex mixtures of conjugated linoleic acids (CLA) and the application of phospholipid fatty acids (PLFA) for determining microbial communities in soils. In recent years his interests have focussed on developing and applying plant metabolomics methodologies, and he has a special interest in non-polar metabolites. He has published around 70 scientific papers and is an advisory board member of The European Journal of Lipid Science and Technology.
- Dobson, G. Analysis of fatty acids in functional foods with emphasis on ω3 fatty acids and conjugated linoleic acid. In: “Methods of Analysis for Functional Foods and Nutraceuticals”, pp 85-145 (Ed. W.J. Hurst, CRC Press, USA) (2008).
- Dobson, G., Shepherd, T., Marshall, R., Verrall, S.R., Conner, S., Griffiths, D.W., McNicol, J.W., Stewart, D. and Davies., H.V. Application of metabolite and flavour profiling to studies of biodiversity in Solanum species. In: “Concepts in Plant Metabolomics”, pp 259-268 (Ed. B.J. Nikolau, B.J. and E.S. Wurtele. Springer, The Netherlands) (2007).
- Shepherd, T., Dobson, G., Marshall, R., Verrall S.R., Connor, S., Griffiths, D.W., Stewart, and D., Davies, H.V. Profiling of metabolites and volatile flavour compounds from Solanum species using gas chromatography-mass spectrometry. In: “Concepts in Plant Metabolomics”, pp 209-220 (Ed. B.J. Nikolau, B.J. and E.S. Wurtele. Springer, The Netherlands) (2007).
- Shepherd, T., Verrall, S.R., Conner, S., Griffiths, D.W., McNicol, Ramsay, G., Shepherd, L.V.T., J.W., Davies, H.V. and Stewart, D. Phytochemical diversity in tubers of potato cultivars and landraces using a GC-MS metabolomics approach. J. Agric. Food Chem., 56, 10280-10291 (2008).
- Shepherd, T., Dobson, G., Verrall, S.R., Conner, S., Griffiths, D.W., McNicol, J.W., Davies, H.V. and Stewart, D. Potato metabolomics by GC-MS: what are the limiting factors? Metabolomics, 3, 475-488 (2007).
- Christie, W.W., Dobson, G and Adlof, R.O. A practical guide to the isolation, analysis and identification of conjugated linoleic acid. Lipids, 42, 1073-1084 (2007).
- Kremer, L., de Chastellier, C., Dobson, G., Gibson, K.J.C., Bifani, P., Balor, S., Gorvel, J-P., Locht, C., Minnikin, D.E. and Besra, G.S. Identification and structural characterization of an unusual mycobacterial monomeromycolyl-diacylglycerol. Molecular Microbiol., 57, 1113-1126 (2005).
- Dobson, G., Griffiths, D.W., Davies, H.V. and McNicol, J.W. Comparison of fatty acid and polar lipid contents of tubers from two potato species, Solanum tuberosum and Solanum phureja, J. Agric. Food Chem., 52, 6306-6314 (2004).
- Baoxiu, Q., Fraser, T., Mugford, S., Dobson, G., Sayanova, O., Butler, J., Napier, J.A., Stobart, A.K. and Lazarus, C.M. Production of very long chain polyunsaturated omega-3 and omega-6 fatty acids in plants. Nature Biotechnology, 22, 739-745 (2004).
- Ruiz del Castillo, M.L., Dobson, G., Brennan, R. and Gordon, S. Fatty acid content and juice characteristics in black currant (Ribes nigrum L.) genotypes. J. Agric. Food Chem., 52, 948-952 (2004).